A dependent is an individual or child that a parent, relative or, another person can claim a personal exemption deduction for on their taxes. Employees can add their dependents to their health insurance policy. There are two general categories for eligible dependents:
- Children can be dependents on a parent's health insurance plan until they turn 26 years old, even if they are married. Children 26 or older can be dependents if they are disabled.
- Children under the age of 18 who are on the medical plan of the member qualify for pediatric dental and vision coverage that is included in all plans.
2) Spouses and domestic partners
- All spouses are eligible dependents
- A domestic partnership refers to an unmarried couple of the same or opposite sex. Only partners in a legal civil union or registered domestic partnership are eligible dependents.
Dependents will be under the same medical plan as the employee that added them.
If you have any questions about this, please submit a request to our customer care team at the link below: